So the revisions on the vampire story are coming along, albeit slowly. I’m having a weird experience with it, though. As I read along, I’m finding that what I wrote in the first draft is often not matching up with the flow of words I hear in my head. It’s as if I’m reading someone else’s story, and expecting to see the words that should have been written, and not the stilted, rough draft I’m reading over. I guess that’s good. Lots of stuff getting moved around, deleted, rewritten. The only parts that bother me are the ones where I actually can’t think of a better way to phrase something, because I figure the whole thing could stand improvement.
And I was both excited and dismayed to find two deer standing in my front yard this morning when I opened the blinds. Lovely as they are, and such a surprise (I’ve seen them across the street in the neighbor’s yard but never in my own), I realized to my horror they were munching on my roses. So I went out and tried to have a talk with them, but they were having none of it. They sort of wandered off but seemed far less alarmed by me than I would have expected. Sign of the times, I guess, when the wildlife isn’t all that disturbed by the encroaching humans. I hope I won’t have to give up on growing roses now that they’ve found mine. And I was finally getting some lovely new canes starting from the rootstocks on several of them! Argh.